These are my picks (complete with the reason for my choice) for the movies coming to theaters in January, but feel free to check out all of January's releases by visiting the Internet MovieDatabase's Coming Soon page.
Friday, January 4th
Director: John Luessenhop
· Why? After a reboot in 2003 and prequel to the reboot in 2006, we're now doing a sequel to the original from 1974 for which a sequel was already made in 1986. Confusing, right? Let's just ignore those other movies and do our own thing, someone said. Needless to say, I'm not overly excited about this one, but it is a chance to see Leatherface on screen again. And for LOST fans, it's also a chance to see "Alex" on screen again.
Friday, January 11th
Director: Ruben Fleischer
· Why? Perhaps it's a little too soon for a movie with tons of gun violence, but this looks like it will be a great period piece. Plus, it's a chance to watch Emma Stone.
Director: Michael Tiddes
· Why? These parody movies are definitely hit-and-miss, but at least the trailer looks funny.
Friday, January 18th
Director: Andres Muschietti
· Why? This movie looks truly frightening.
Director: Jee-woon Kim
· Why? This looks like a fun action movie, especially with Johnny Knoxville in the mix.
Friday, January 25th
Director: Tommy Wirkola
· Why? This movie looks like it should be about as fun and exciting as Hugh Jackman's Van Helsing a few years back.
Director: Taylor Hackford
· Why? Jason Statham. Why else? Plus, this role for Jennifer Lopez intrigues me.
Directors: Elizabeth Banks | Steven Brill | Steve Carr | Rusty Cundieff |James Duffy | Griffin Dunne | Peter Farrelly | Patrik Forsberg | James Gunn| Bob Odenkirk | Brett Ratner | Jonathan van Tulleken
· Why? A movie with this many directors is quite the accomplishment, and they've put together quite the rudely funny little movie. Plus, Emma Stone and Anna Faris! Check out the NSFW red-bandtrailer.
Director: Don Coscarelli
· Why? This movie is currentlyavailable OnDemand, and I've already seen it and loved it. If this movie comes to a theater near me, I'd like to see it again.